A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Marshmallow Cereal Bars


UPDATE:  Better version here.



After watching this episode of Good Eats, I've just had this hankering for a marshmallow cereal bar.  I actually went to Walmart recently (and had a bit of a "kid in a candy store" experience, where I was impressed by all the things available for purchase!) and decided it was time to make it happen.

Click to jump to recipe.



I didn't want to buy all the fruits he recommended (dried blueberries and cherries are expensive!) and there were no slivered almonds, so I decided to use toasted almonds and dried apricots only.  I also like using cornflakes in these.

Weighing marshmallows is fun!  This is 200g of mini marshmallows!
The scale automatically turned off as I was taking the picture, otherwise it'd read 200g.  

 

I set a large mixing bowl over simmering water.  But then I made a rookie mistake and put the marshmallows into the bowl first, before the oil.  The picture on the right (above) shows the hard, sticky mess after.

 

The bars ended up being very gooey and soft.  But that's not what I wanted.  So I decided to make another batch!  I also replaced one tablespoon of the flax oil with butter, because the flavour too strong to be enjoyable; and didn't add the apricots or almonds, just to see how much cereal I should use for the right consistency.  It turned out dense and a little crunchy; just the way I wanted.  Of course, it's extra nice to have both the soft gooey ones and the hard, crunchy ones!

Cereal only, no nuts or fruit.  Nice and crunchy!
 Below are the two variations for the bars I made.  On the Rice Krispies website, the original recipe calls for 6 cups cereal for 250g marshmallows.  I may try this ratio (instead of weight ratios) next time.



Marshmallow Cereal Bars
(adapted from Alton Brown's Brown Crispy Rice Bars)

Software:
  • 2 Tbsp flax oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 200g  mini marshmallows
  • 200g cereal
  • 60g almonds, chopped and toasted
  • 60g dried apricots, chopped
Hardware:
  • 9x13 inch baking pan
  • parchment paper
  • non-stick spray or oil
  • large mixing bowl
  • spatula or other stirring utensil (silicone or plastic is best)
  • pot of simmering water
Method:
Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment.  Spray with non-stick spray.  Also spray large mixing bowl.

Toast nuts and cereal in oven or toaster oven.

Set large mixing bowl over simmering water.  Add oil and butter to bowl.  Then add marshmallows.  Stir until melted (4-5 min).  Once melted, quickly add cereal, nuts and fruit.  Stir to combine.

Coat hands (and optionally a spatula) with non-stick spray.  Press marshmallow mixture prepared baking pan.  Allow to cool completely before turning out and cutting.  Store in airtight container.  (AB recommends 1-2 days; I'm not sure about this myself.)

UPDATE:  After a few days, the bars made with 3 Tbsp flax oil developed a "fishy" smell.  Maybe that's why he recommends only 1-2 days!!


No comments:

Post a Comment