A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Garden Anticipation

It's getting closer to garden planning time again!  Average date of last frost in Winnipeg, MB is 25 May.  (Fellow Canadians: find yours here!)

Working backwards...  Most of the crops I'd like to plant need about a month to germinate indoors before they're ready to move permanently outside.  Last year, I believe I started my seeds on the last day of exams, or at least after the important ones were over.  I'll have to check again.

Since last year's tomatoes were a huge hit--in particular the Sunsugars--I'll be giving them more garden space this year!  Here are my tentative plans (click to enlarge).

3x16 bed:

That's right, TEN tomato plants.  I may also plant some tall-ish crops with the marigold, maybe celery?  Something that likes the shade of the tomatoes...

Mom has some beans from her friend, and I may plant some behind the zucchini to help fix nitrogen into the soil.  Although last year, the birds kept eating the peas I planted in that spot!

3x6 bed:
I want to be just swimming in carrots by the end of the season.  If I time it correctly, I may be able to have an almost continual supply of carrots until late fall!  (If every seed produces a carrot and I only sow once, I'll have 144 carrots!)

The broccoli is up for debate; but I would need a tall crop to grow at the very back.  Maybe peppers?

I'm also considering building another 3x6 bed.  If I have the resources, here's what I might plant, though I haven't given it too much thought yet.


I'm so excited!  I just can't wait til it's seed starting time!


No comments:

Post a Comment