A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Time for Gardening Again!

Sometimes, I wonder if the "Chocolate
Easter Egg" originated as a prank.
I posted recently about how I needed to sort the soil from the mulch and rabbit poops in my future carrot bed.  Well, I tried making the soil sorter yesterday.  It didn't work.

Turns out, the material I wanted to use for the mesh was too weak to hold the weight of the soil.  Oh well, at least now I have three mini raised beds!

I spent most of yesterday outside in the sun, raking compost and rabbit droppings and working coco peat, bone meal and blood meal into the carrot bed.

This is going to be a hurried and mostly unorganised post because I already wrote one post today, and I need to prepare for final exams!!

Here are a few photos and comments from yesterday:

 

Above:  a 12"x18" raised bed, and not a failure!  I'm considering adding a bottom to these boxes so I can use them as planters.  Otherwise, I can plop them on the ground and fill with soil.  I think they'd be very pretty with some flowers (nasturtiums!) growing inside them.  Maybe I could even put them in the front!


Above:  The 3x6 foot future carrot bed, before taking any mulch or rabbit poop out.

 

Above Left:  A block of coco peat with some bone meal on top.  That block took such a long time to hydrate!
Above Right:  The bed after the block of coco peat hydrated.  I got sore from trying to hoe it all in.

Some quick thoughts:

  •  I could really use a garden fork (pitchfork).  Why are they so gaddam expensive?  Alternatively, I could buy a soil turner, which I could really only use for turning soil.  But a garden fork, I could use for turning soil and for aerating and mixing my compost heap!  
  • I think I should add some compost and sand to the carrot bed while I've got everything overturned like this...
  • I found an onion while hoeing the bed!  It didn't appear to have grown at all.  

More later...


No comments:

Post a Comment