A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Radish Sprouts - Days Three and Four

Day Three:

I guess those long white things are stems and roots.  They're all tangly.  Because I was keeping the jar upside-down to let the water drain out, some roots tangled themselves into the cheesecloth.  I waited until I felt they would be strong enough to not break if I tried to take them out.

You can see the pale yellow seed leaves.  Ideally, I would have put the jar in indirect sunlight (windowsill) or bright artificial light.  I was in a rush to get to school, and I typically don't get home until late, so this spent the day on the kitchen table, with whatever light was available.  The results?  ...

Day Four:

A big, slightly tangled mass of firm shoots and lightly green leaves; with lots of seed casings (the brown stuff).


Considering I used about 1 tbsp of seeds, and got approximately 1 cup of sprouts, I'm pretty happy with this investment!

Eating:  The sprouts are pleasantly crisp (crunchy) and "juicy" the way an apple or Chinese pear are "juicy".  The taste is straight up RADISH, but maybe not as "hot" (peppery) as radish roots.  And these are jucier than eating radish roots.


I was very hungry at the time, so I put these in a wrap with chicken and a Greek vinaigrette.  But I could have eaten them as they were!

I have since started a new jar, with approx 1 heaping tablespoon of seeds, and am excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment