A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Grilled PB&J


I had a craving for something different for breakfast today.  I opened the fridge door to look for inspiration.  I've had this jar of natural peanut butter for months, I just don't go through peanut butter very quickly--unless I'm making peanut butter cookies, or have gotten back on the peanut butter and bananas on warm bread -boat.

And lately I've fallen in love with blackcurrants, in particular, blackcurrant jelly.  Even the store-brand stuff tastes great, and I just can't wait to open the jar I bought from the farmers' market in fall!!

So peanut butter and jelly sandwiches seemed suitable.  But if you know me, you'll know I dislike cold sandwiches.  So I decided to pan fry it like a grilled cheese sandwich!

I think next time I'll use a softer white bread without so many seeds and grains, to really let the peanut butter and jam shine through.  All I had was a seedy, grainy bread--which is heavenly for grilled cheeses.

A note on peanut butter: I buy natural peanut butter whose only ingredient is either "peanuts" or "roasted peanuts" depending on the brand.  While I love not worrying about hydrogenated oil, I also find the texture inhibits my ability to taste the peanuts, maybe it's too oily and my saliva can't dissolve the flavours so quickly, maybe the uniform texture makes it all blur together--whatever the reason, I usually add a tiny dab of honey and a sprinkle of salt.  This opens up the peanut butter and I can taste so much more peanutty goodness this way!


No comments:

Post a Comment