A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Breakfast


I've been trying to make a habit of taking time for breakfast whenever possible.  Usually this means days I don't have school, and weekends I don't work.  I had a loaf of bread and some coffee cream I was trying to use up, so lately breakfast has been French toast.

I usually have it with some sort of warm cooked fruit, sausages and or bacon, maple syrup and a nice smear of cultured butter, with a sprinkle of coarse salt mixed in.

 

One time, I had a bunch of green grapes going bad in the fridge.  There were too many to eat at once, and I don't like squishy grapes, so I decided to roast them.  I tossed the stemmed and washed grapes with a bit of olive oil and a big pinch of salt, then roasted in the oven at about 375F for maybe 15 min, until they were browned.

The roasted grapes had a beautiful, mellow flavour.  Is mellow the right word?  It was rather mild, but very pleasant.  The taste of grapes was still there, but with almost no acidity.  The browned skins gave a nice "toasty" flavour.  With the acidity gone, a bunch of other flavours start to come through.  I want to say it tastes like an unwooded wine, but I feel that might do wine a disservice.


By the way, I cooked these apples with Fireball and the last bit of dark rum.  Mmm!

I'm liking my breakfast habits :)


No comments:

Post a Comment