A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Broccoli

Because my seed-sown broccoli have been suffering from what appears to be damping off, I caved in and bought a 6-pack of broccoli seedlings from Canadian Tire, and put them in the ground this past Sunday 20 May.  I also transplanted my snow pea seedlings into the 3x16 bed and repositioned the sparklies closer to them.  We'll see how that goes.

  

To prevent birds from getting to the broccoli, I placed some 4L milk jugs, bottoms removed, over top.  Actually, my folks decided to use one of my jugs for their own plants, so one has an opened plastic produce box (I think it used to hold strawberries) sitting over top.  The picture below shows the sizes of the seedlings compared to the milk jugs.  I think it's a decent fit--and the price was right!  Who needs to buy specialty cloches when these ones came with milk inside?



I forgot to take a picture, but I also stretched some netting over the whole bed.  Oh well, picture next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment