A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Jin Deui Again

I made a  second attempt at jin deui on Monday.  Here's a quickie post; scroll to bottom for text.

Below:  Dough balls rolled in white sesame, uncooked.

Below:  Cooked jin deui!  The first few turned out over-cooked, a little burnt almost.  Only a few exploded.




Notes:

  • Used same recipe, but instead of making 12 dough balls, only made 8; this meant more thicker dough walls, and hopefully, less exploding.
  • My thermometer read somewhere around 250F, but the oil was actually much hotter--over 300F!!  As soon as I put the balls in, the temperature reading rose quickly.  I can only assume this is because the oil wasn't moving very much, and the thermometer was only reading a cooler area.  Next time, I will stir the oil before reading the temp.  
  • A good temperature is around 260F (last time I said 275F, which is still in the neighbourhood).  
  • Spritzing the balls with water before rolling in sesame seeds keeps the dough from drying out, helps the seeds stick better, and makes a crispier crust, I think.  
  • I need to keep the balls moving.  If the balls stay still, the dough expands unevenly; so there may be some places where it stretches very thin, and areas where it's thick.  
  • White sesame tastes better than in this application.  
  • I didn't get any photos, but the thickness of the dough for this batch turned out more like store-bought jin deui (thicker than last time).  I like it!  
  • I used about 1/3 tsp salt for the dough, and I liked it!  
  • I didn't accurately measure the sugar, but I used 3 slightly rounded tea spoons (as opposed to soup spoons) of cane sugar, because we're running low on demerara sugar.  



No comments:

Post a Comment