A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Monday, April 25, 2011

More True Leaves!

It's getting harder and harder to update every day, especially with yardwork.

So I'll just make a little post about some things I've learned about plant growth.

First, roots are SO COOL.

I'm simultaneously fascinated and terrified with/of potatoes for this reason.  I don't consider myself an expert on roots, but I do like to read about plant growth.

When a seed germinates, the first part to emerge is the radicle.  The radicle's job is to go into the soil and form roots to suck up water.

Depending on the type of plant, the next part that emerges is the hypocotl.  Again, depending on the plant, sometimes the cotyledons stay hidden awhile before springing up; and sometimes the cotyledons stay below and are used as energy for the plant.

Here are some pics of my parsley plants in various stages of germination:









And here are some tomatoes, just to get a feel for how tall they're getting!!




No comments:

Post a Comment