A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New Seed Tray for Cosmos

One day, prior to having researched ANYTHING about starting seeds, I stopped by Dollarama and discovered their vast assortment of dirt-cheap gardening accessories! Bamboo poles, knee pads, cheap trowels and hand cultivators, twine, wire, fencing, decorations, solar lamps--just about anything! They also had a seed-starting tray, which came with two black trays and one clear lid; and a 26-pack of Jiffy pots.

Now, I assumed I would be able to cram those Jiffy pots into the trays without much difficult, and get some utility out of the whole thing. As it turns out, that may not be true...

The black trays have holes in them. While drainage is desirable in the individual cells, it is not really something you want in a tray. Phooey.

Also the Jiffy pots made for an extremely awkward fit, with the ridges inside the tray.

However, I believe both of these obstacles may be overcome with two things: Electrical tape to cover the holes, and hexagonally honeycombing the pots for better use of space.

In this case, I don't necessarily get more Jiffy pots to fit, but I will get them to stay upright on their own more easily. This diagonal pattern is more stable than square rows and columns.

This should be a good backup plan in case I want to salvage my overly-leggy candy-stripe cosmos! I can transplant them to the Jiffy pots, and put them in the black tray. If tall enough--which I doubt, I can also put the cover on top!


Man, this makes me miss Graph Theory with Dr Gunderson...
Fun Fact:  When I perform a Google search for "space-filling solids", Dr Gunderson's homepage is second on the list. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment