A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring!

Spring made its arrival in Winnipeg earlier last month, and I've been waiting all winter to start gardening! I decided to start this blog to help me keep track of it all.

Tuesday 12 Apr was my Ordinary Differential Equations final exam, and also happened to be six weeks before the average date of last frost (24 May) here! So I started my seedlings.



I'm using two seed-starter kits (from Canadian Tire) by Planters Pride. The one on the left is a 72-cell plastic system; and the other is a 50-cell coir system. (Coir is a bio-degradeable fibre from coconut husks; it is replacing peat moss in gardening, as peat moss mining is not sustainable and is actually rather destructive.)


Fri 15 Apr
Today I noticed tiny sprouts! Huzzah!



Broccoli - several have sprouted, but they are all very weak-looking and pale. Probable cause: lack of sunlight. I need to build that grow lamp soon! Maybe Sunday...

Basil - the seedlings look like... tiny, wet-shiny purple-grey slugs! I might have assumed they were insect eggs if these didn't only occur in the basil cells... Though I suppose time will tell...

Calendula - one sprout is extremely leggy and growing almost horizontally, searching for that light... I'm a little concerned.

Chamomile and Tarragon both have high germination rates here! Because the seeds are so tiny, I sprinkled them instead of counting and placing them individually. That may have been a mistake... Well, perhaps when it comes time to thin, I'll separate individual seedlings instead of pruning. Perhaps I'll have lots of chamomile and tarragon--which wouldn't be a bad thing!

Cherry Tomato, Sweet Cherry Hybrid - one seed has germinated. Woo! It's only partially covered, and I can see the seed and the little white sprout just beginning to poke out... Fascinating! I wonder if I check back tomorrow morning will I notice any progress?


There we have it, my first gardening post!


No comments:

Post a Comment