A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reckless Transplanting!

Look at all that green growth!

Today I finished my last exam!  So I was a bit reckless.  I probably should have waited until Saturday...  But time will tell if I made a good or bad call...  I transplanted my candy-stripe cosmos, some broccoli, and all the calendula into Jiffy Pots.

There was more mysterious fuzzy white growth.  Jeez, I'm rethinking using popsicle sticks as markers...  This sucks.

In fact, some of my chamomile and tarragon (those lovely, abundant green seedlings) died almost completely back.  I ended up digging out the soil and replanting using coir.

Oh yeah, I bought coir from the dollar store.  This...may or may not turn out to have been a good decision. And using it ALL OVER my seed trays may or may not turn out to have been a good decision...  Yeah.  Recklessness.

New Growth:
  • a new Sage sprout!
  • Pumpkin, Zucchini and Butternut cotyledons emerging (pictures belos!)
  • more tomatoes (cherry and regular)
I prepared too much coir and wanted to use it up, so I started these new seeds:
  • Cosmos - Early Spring, in the plastic cells
  • Snow Peas (Organic) in Jiffy Pots

Jiffy Pots: Cosmos
 

Jiffy Pots:  Calendula


Jiffy Pots: started snow peas.  The seeds are a few years old, so we'll see if they've any life left in them.




I scooped out the chamomile and tarragon that had died back, and dumped the soil into this bucket.  Hopefully I won't have to add to this...  I've placed it outside (it's currently 2C with a low of -4C tonight, so hopefully that'll kill any mystery growth left in there).



Tomatoes: I forget which are which.

  

Marigold



Chamomile; the brown stuff is coir.  I had to remove two cells of chamomile and two cells of tarragon.  RIP.



Genovese Basil (no purple today, I think he's gotten enough attention for a while)



Now what we've all been waiting for--SQUASHES!
Pumpkin


Zucchini

 

Butternut!  The one on the left reminds me of some cheesy monster-plant movie...

 

Here are some shots of the broccoli in their new home!

  

To accommodate the new containers, I propped the plastic placemats against the spray bottle.  Hopefully this reflects enough light to be helpful.



No comments:

Post a Comment