A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Seedlings

Cosmos, 'candy stripe' seedling is leggy from lack of light Update on seedlings! Yes, they have grown noticeably since yesterday! Isn't that awesome??

On the left is that tall leggy cosmos (candy stripe). He's gotten even taller!

It's absolutely amazing to see the amount of growth that can occur in less than 24h. I'm a little concerned about lighting, though; the leggy cosmos and calendula have gotten even leggier.

If this continues, I will remove all the leggy plants, and put them in individual Jiffy Pots.  ... Though I don't have a tray set aside for that, yet...

Note: the pale plant colours are due to the floodlight I have temporarily (20min) set on the plants.  These lamps are halogen, and I cannot set them on the plants for more than 30min at a time because they are A) hot and B) expensive to run.  I've been supplementing my seedlings' light with them occasionally...  It's not a good long-term solution, but it'll do in a pinch...  I really gotta build that seedling light soon...

Will post instructions on how I build the grow light structure!


Below: broccoli seedlings starting to sprout!
Broccoli seedling  Broccoli seedling

Below: Basil germinating
Purple Basil seedling just starting to poke outMore basil seedlings

Below:  Chamomile and Tarragon germinating!  Eeee, tiny!
Chamomile and Tarragon are all sprouting!  Tiny tiny!

Below:  That really tentacle-like Calendula seedling is still searching for light...  pretty aggressively, now!
Calendula seedling searching for light


No comments:

Post a Comment