A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

23 June

Been a busy week, neglected to update blog.  Here are photos from 23 June:


Using old CDs, I made some ornaments to (hopefully) scare birds away.  Materials: CDs, red and black permanent markers, twine, metal wire (to make hooks, not shown).  Hung some in apple tree, some in garden bed.  Some circles were a bit off, so I made some different ones.
 

Video of ornaments:

Zucchinis on their way!
   

Nasturtium:

Butternut, Pumpkin:
 

Pumpkin vines: hopefully they take to the twine and follow it out of the bed.

Tomatoes: average height is 2'

Chamomile: I didn't realise chamomile grows this tall (about 18")!  Oops.

Basil doing very well:

Tomato (or cherry tomato) flowers!

A friend was looking to get rid of some spearmint.  I buried some stalks, and they're doing quite well!  They can fight the irises for garden supremacy ;)

Spinach leaves are becoming strangely shaped.  Maybe this is normal?  They're pointy at the end and pointy at the bottoms.  Am I a nerd if this reminds me of the Klingon emblem?  Been harvesting "baby spinach" for salads.
   

Typical salad harvest: enough for a two-person meal-sized salad.  I usually throw in some nasturtium and parsley leaves, too.  If I had nasturtium flowers, I'd throw them in, too.  And when basil leaves are big enough, I might make a herb salad!



No comments:

Post a Comment