A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

More Sparklies

So, it turns out, those clever birds found a way through the netting on my 3x16 bed!  Goodbye sweet peas!  I'll miss you.

Since I don't care to add extra netting, I decided to spend a few dollars on more sparklies.  Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take many pictures of them.  But here's one:



You can see three new shiny windmills in the trellis.

I changed the netting on the 3x6 bed and threw in some sparklies.  There's a large windmill on either side (the blue one on the right is more prominent) and each square foot of carrots has a small shiny windmill.  This also lets me keep track of which carrots are which.  

Oh, and I sowed three more square feet of carrots; and filled in any spots where spinach, carrots and salad didn't germinate.  



Onto the garden...

Agastache cana's doing well!  I'm so excited!

The whole planter is starting to fill in!  Except this bottom part...  Not sure what to do about that yet.

First marigold blossom!!  Man, it is so rewarding to see this.  These guys grew up from seeds, I took care of them to the best of my knowledge and capabilities, and most of them made it.  ...  I, I think a single tear just rolled down my cheek.

What the...  is that...  SOW'S THISTLE?!  BEGONE!

My friend taught me how to pinch basil!  Wait til there are at least three sets of true leaves (or when the basil starts getting leggy).  Then pinch off the top set.  I've been so eager to pinch them, it feels like I've been waiting for longer than I probably have...been..waiting...  ...  Urgh, Charlie not grammar today so well.
 

Broccoli!  These guys are getting so big and strong!  We had a few days of rain, punctuated by hot, sunny days.  Everything splurted.  Check out these thick stems!
    

Spinach are doing well, too!  Look at those defiant, luscious baby spinach leaves!

Salad will be ready to enjoy soon!

Carrot true leaves appearing!


No comments:

Post a Comment