A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bad Plans


Remember how I had set aside this (right) space for my new lawn comprised of creeping thyme?  Well, it turns out that the soil is really sandy and rocky and that makes me think it was mixed that way on purpose.

So I found a new spot close to my 3x16 bed.

My plan is to let the creeping thyme establish itself, with some Shasta daisies and snow-in-summer thrown into the mix.  We'll see how it goes this year.  If it goes well, I'll be extremely happy!  If not, well, I lost four bucks.  Oh well.

I dug out a square.  You can see our famous "Manitoba" or "Red River" gumbo.  I threw in some perlite because it looked so sad.

Here's the creeping thyme:

I pulled the root ball apart, trying to get as close to half as possible but one ended up bigger.

Half went into one corner, half into the opposite corner.

Filled back up with topsoil; sprinkled seeds for Shasta daisies and snow-in-summer, and put up a pentagonal fence around the patch.  Hopefully I can convince my dad to avoid it.

And in that old spot I had saved?  I planted my clover.  Nyaha, I'm terrible.


No comments:

Post a Comment