A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

BIRDS!

More Bird Attacks!

Birds ate almost ALL my peas!!  Only one or two weren't attacked!  Those 7" tall pea seedlings?  GONE!  I was heartbroken when I found out!

Left:  Notice the distinct LACK OF ANY PEAS.

So after mowing my brother's jungle lawn, I got Dad to take me to the dollar store where I procured more bamboo sticks, garden netting, and a shiny multi-coloured metal wind-catching ornament (we'll just call it a Sparkly for short, okay?).

We just happened to have a little (about 2') shepherd's hook, so I yanked that out of its old spot and stuck it in the garden bed... under the netting.  Hopefully just the sight of it will keep the birds out.

Of course, it doesn't help that a nearby house has, like, five bird feeders in the corner of his property closest to ours.  I'm half-seriously considering getting a cat ornament.

Below:  a shiny multi-coloured metal wind-catching ornament, hereafter to be referred to as a "Sparkly".


The entire 3x16 bed is covered by the net (with net to spare!).  If this doesn't keep those feathered fiends out, then I might just give up!  


Oh, I also put up a silly wind chime.  It doesn't make a lot of noise, but it does move a bit!  You can see the run-down trailer and garage in the background.  The farthest-back trees belong to the guy across the street.  Every year, we get his leaves everywhere.  This year, I intend on making leaf molds.  Nyah!



Seedlings

Agastache Cana showing new buds where I pinched off the top two sets of true leaves!  ...The other un-pinched plants are also showing these, though.  We'll see who grows best!

 

Bachelor's Button or Shasta Daisy seedlings...



Oregano.  Because of the poor light, you can't see the tips of the leaves turning purple.  This is one of the healthiest oregano seedlings...  Sigh.



This is one of my best cherry tomato seedlings.  When I go to garden centres, I try not to look at their thick, dark green tomato seedlings.  It makes me jealous.




Apple Tree

The blossoms, uh, blossomed!



 


3x6 Bed and More

I didn't feel like taking off the netting to take photos, so here are the best shots I could manage.

Lettuces/Mesclun.

 

Carrot!



Spinach!



Broccoli!  Sorry for the bad focus.



Near the apple tree, where I keep my cocopeat and coir mulch, I found this little white flower with purple veins.  I've never seen it before!  It's about an inch in diameter, and maybe three inches tall.  I was afraid to move the grass and find its leaves, it just looks so delicate...!  There are five leaves; two point up, three point down, and the bottom petal has purple veins.  The other two of the bottom three seem to have developing purple veins, but not as many.  I could find no leaves for this flower.



A dead and live beetle.  I'm pretty sure they're carnivorous, so that makes them friends!

 

The Frost Cave!  I had some leftover landscaping fabric, so I wrapped that around, too.  Don't fail me now, Ice Cave!




Creeping Thyme from Sage Garden Herbs


Also known as Breckland Thyme, Wild Thyme and Mother of Thyme.  I'm going to use it as a low ground cover in the back yard.   

I bought this from Sage Garden Herbs today!  It was my first visit to an actual garden centre (besides the little garden centres at, like, Canadian Tire), and I LOVED this place!  

While at Sage Garden, I also saw a collection of milkweeds, including swamp milkweed.  I've been looking for something to plant in the little valley where three eavestroughs and the sump pump all empty out.  

Maybe next year.  



No comments:

Post a Comment