A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Peas!


I meant to post this earlier, but something happened yesterday.  We're mostly allright now, but it was a little scary.

On Saturday, I thinned/transplanted my peas.  I've gotten a little case of the blues lately (might have something to do with having been sick and stuffed with boogers), so wasn't too diligent in my plant observations.  The only new growth I remember enough to report was that the two pumpkin seeds germinated and put out cotyledons.

Here I'm working on my Snow peas first (because they're the oldest and biggest).  These guys are about two weeks old, and look at the amazing root system they've already got going!












I also put in a dowel for them to climb up, and labelled the pea variety on the dowel.  (I also thinned the snap peas, and planted one more since one didn't germinate.)  I left these guys outside for a little too long, though.  They went limp from the wind.  Back inside, I tried winding the tendrils around the dowel.  We'll see how this works out.


 





Lettuce



I went out to get more Jiffy Pots (sold out, sadly), and also got a cheap plastic tub.  I wanted a tray for lettuce.

The tray should be flat instead of deep, and have a wide surface area.  Lettuce roots aren't very deep, but I want a lot of young greens to constantly snip for salad.

Brought this home and drilled holes in it.  Unfortunately, I'm new at this, and didn't anticipate the drill bit 1) melting the plastic, or 2) cracking the plastic.  Next time, I'll ask Dad how to drill plastic.  Dang it.



Filled about 2cm with a coir-perlite mixture; then filled the remaining 4-ish cm with soil-coir-perlite and watered using the fine mist setting on my new showerhead!  (Touch N'Flow Garden Hose Watering Revolver.  All the important parts are made of metal, and they come in lots of colours--including purple!).



Seeds I have germinating...



Left:  Lettuce, misticanza.  Right:  Mesclun, spicy mix.



I'm not sure why I soaked them.  I'm silly that way.  After drying on a paper towel, I scattered these over the prepared soil.

While I was out, I found this "self-watering pot" in a gorgeous purple-wine colour!



I also found this AMAZING variety of mint called CHOCOLATE MINT.  I couldn't help myself, it smelled amazing, I had to buy it!




Aside:  I want to do a product review sometime, but I'm not sure what I'd review.  I hope the new nozzle will be great, but I guess we'll see.  I want so badly to like it!  Maybe I'll review this chocolate mint?  We'll see!


No comments:

Post a Comment