A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Missing Broccoli


Dear Rabbits,
       I thought we had a deal.  You leave my garden alone, and I don't eat your children.
       From Charlie.
Something ate the tops off five broccoli plants.  I'm guessing it was rabbits.  Luckily, I had seven broccoli plants left.  But this is an outrage!  Look at these poor stumps!



This leaf was covered by some mulch.  I guess the mulch (and lack of rabbits' opposable thumbs) saved it...  I hope it'll still grow with only one leaf.



Here are five replacement plants.  At first, I thought these were the only broccoli I had left.  But it turned out that I have two more hiding in the tomatoes.



I cut the bottoms and tops off water bottles and surrounded each plant.  Then I put up this quickly removable fencing.



This makes me so angry.  I'm tempted to piss all around the garden bed just to frighten the rabbits off.

 


Also, notes on plants:

  • Some plants appear to have sunburnt leaves.  At least they're young and will grow more more leaves in the future.  
  • I found a beetle on the deck.  I'm furious.  I slapped a boot on it, but that only flipped him over; he got back up and ran between the slats of wood.  
  • Some peas had developed white, wilted leaves, could be powdery mildew.  I sprayed a sulphurous fungicide on the leaves.  They look better now.  
  • Lost a few Genovese Basils to the wind; the leaves snapped off.  
  • Some Agastache Cana and Bee Balm are on their third set of true leaves.  I pinched a few back down to their first pair of true leaves to see what happens.  
  • Compost looks good!



No comments:

Post a Comment