A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Preparing for Frost

It's been a while since I've posted.  I haven't been looking after individual seedlings as much as I'd wanted.  Mostly I've been letting them harden off on the deck, providing a little shade and shelter from wind.  If it weren't for the frost warning tonight, I'd have transplanted them to the garden beds already.

Here's a more detailed post today!



Peas!


They haven't been doing as well as I'd hoped.  The one on the farthest left has been suffering pretty badly; I think he wind and pests have been pretty hard on him.

Also, the snow peas are organic, so they probably don't have much disease resistance.  This explains why the leaves are so sickly.

      

The last two are peas that were sown outdoors.  The second-last picture is of a plant I'm not yet sure is a pea or a sweet pea flower.

Miscellaneous Seedlings!

Nasturtium!  Or possible sweet potato fragment.  But I hope it's a nasturtium!



I've been keeping under a water bottle.  It's doing quite well!


 

Chamomile

 

Marigold transplanted between the (future) squash and tomato sections.



I have some red onion sets that I'd previously sown before realising I had to amend the soil.  Looks like my plan to let them sprout and remove them then worked!  They're showing themselves!  But the birds (or something) keep snacking on them.



Broccoli.  Yay!

 

Lettuces germinated!  Hooray!

  

Spinach



Unknown Seedlings!

Dill?  


This one has textured leaves like sage (though I don't remember sowing sage here...).  Sorry for the focus.  



Hey, one of those mystery seedlings is a lettuce/mesclun of some kind!  


But I still have no idea what these are!

  
 


Apple Tree!


Leaves!



Flowers!

 


Pruned edge.  Looks allright to me!




Compost Heap and Nearby Growth!

It's actually warm in there!  Good job, micro-organisms!  The compost is coming along quite nicely!



These are some kind of weed (tree) that we'd cut down.  Then we threw the sod on top of / near them.  I guess the sod gave them new life.  Dang.

 

Chives!  We threw sod over most of the chives.  Mom was worried the chives wouldn't come back.  I told her not to worry ;).




The Square Planter!  

From this post.



Agastache Cana.



The agastache I pinched.  Yay, it's budding!



Sweet Peas! ...I think!



Unknown.  I think that one's grass.

 


Other Seedlings

Genovese Basil!  Some are doing extremely well!  Others are sunburnt and not doing so well.

  

Purple Basil.  This potted one isn't doing so well.



Marigold flower bud!  Flowers will be on their way soon!



Sage!  This one isn't doing so badly!



Tarragon

 

Red Onions sown for bunching onions.



Bunching onions sewn from seed.



Leeks sown from seed.



Lettuces and mesclun from small planter.

   


Potted Oregano...  I hope it gets better...  It needs drier soil...



My one aster...



Bee Balm




Frost Warning

There's a frost warning for tonight.  I don't know how effective this will be.  I'm trying to keep them warm.  Although, a plastic sheet would have been preferable, I don't own one.


I originally thought I could create a wind shelter this way, by piling up rugs and cardboard...  (the net is there to provide shade in sunny weather).



But under the table seems much better!  That's a little lantern in the centre.  I'm going to light it for a little while before bed.



Will make update after tonight, to see how the plants survive the possible frost!


1 comment:

  1. Amelia B.13:33

    Well, the nasturtium is definitely a nasturtium. Sweet potatoes have more heart-shaped leaves, and the leaves don't grow that big. Sorry for adding confusion.

    Some of your other mystery seedlings, though, you might have to accept as just being weeds...

    Everything else looks good, even all crowded into their emergency frost-protection shelter!

    ReplyDelete