A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Planting at Last!

Looks like my Ice Cave worked!

Since we've had frost warnings (last night it got down to -3C) for the past two days, my gardening had been delayed to today.  From here on, it looks like we'll be upwards of 5C, which means everything can go out!  I was out most of the day, so I started gardening around 17:00.

Right:  We had a visitor today! Actually, bunnies are fairly commonplace, I just rarely have my camera accessible when I see them.

Plants now in the 3x16 bed:
  • 2x Cherry Tomato - Hybrid
  • 2x Cherry Tomato - Sun Sugar
  • 4x Tomato - Stupice
  • 3x Genovese Basil
  • 3x Purple Basil
  • 2x Marigold
  • ?? Chamomile
  • ?? Dill
  • 2x Zucchini
  • 1x Butternut
  • 1x Pumpkin - Small Sugar
  • approx 9x Red Onion sets
  • ?? Snow Peas
  • ?? Snap Peas
  • ?? Nasturtium
  • ?? Sweet Peas (flower)
I found a few sweet peas that had germinated!  Success!  I put two plants on the border between the Squash and Tomato sections.  

 Thankfully the bunnies haven't found this little treasure yet! 


This is the nasturtium that had been living in the plastic bottle.  I moved it over to the squash section.  Looks like it didn't handle the cold very well.  Oops.


The other nasturtium seems to be doing well, though!


Squashes!  From left to right: Zucchini, zucchini, butternut, pumpkin.
   

I moved the dill off to the side.  

Chamomiles are doing pretty well!

HOLY CRAP A SURVIVING PEA!

I transplanted the tomatoes, leaving one foot between plants, and putting in a 4' length of 2"x2" as a stake.  This is my first year staking tomatoes, rather than caging them.  Hopefully it will be successful!  From left to right:  Hybrid cherry tomato, Sun Sugar cherry tomato, Stupice tomato.
  

Between each pair of tomatoes and about a foot forward, I made a little hill on which I planted basil.

I'm not sure if the "hill" idea will work.  This is my way of providing the drainage and poor soil that basil thrives on, since my tomatoes will have a fertiliser spike each.  I figure the fertiliser will wash downward with water, so the basil won't be affected by it.

Hopefully, the mound will catch more sunlight, providing light to the leaves and heat to the soil.  Hopefully?  We'll see!

I used remaining plastic bottles to cover the basils.  The mounds look like breasts with nipples.

    

Oh hey, an onion!  I found about nine of these; dug them up and put them all together.  I hope they mature, because it's way too late to sow more sets.
 

So there we have it, my 3x16 bed!  

Now onto the 3x6 bed!  Not much has changed since.  More lettuce germinated--some in the broccoli's mulch, actually!  Strange,I thought mulch was supposed to prevent that.  Oh well!

Here's some spinach, getting true leaves.  ...  They don't look like true leaves to me, but it's in the Spinach section, so...I really hope it's spinach!
 

Some carrots!
 

Some lettuces/mesclun:
  

This was with my Nutri Red carrots...  I'm not sure what it is.  We'll see!

I used a square foot to transplant three pairs of parsley.  ...  I hope they make it.

And I used another square foot for oregano and tarragon.  Here's the oregano:
 

So it turns out I had another broccoli; I took out the weakest broccoli and put this one in its place:

Here's where the creeping thyme and the beginnings of my flowering groundcover will start!


No comments:

Post a Comment