A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mystery Seedlings!

Walked the garden beds today, found new growth.  Some of these are probably the old seeds.  Will wait until they develop further; if they're not what I want, I'll remove them; if they're not where I want them, will transplant them.  Otherwise, will let them stay.

From 3x16 bed:

I think these are peas...  They look like peas...  They may be sweet peas (flowers)....  I remain highly skeptical!



Uncertain:

  

Leaves look like they may be nasturtium...




3x6 bed:

I have NO idea what these are!  The only seeds I sowed in the 3x6 are carrots.  These look like radishes...  Also, one is purple.

  

This looks like a carrot seedling!



There was also an empty egg.  I'll compost that later when I feel like touching it with anything other than a stick.

  


Clover

I've been looking for clover to plant in the lawn to distract the rabbits.  I FINALLY FOUND SOME!  After a few minutes spraying the little clumps of sod down with a hose and painstakingly removing all traces of grass and grass roots, I had these:



Gorgeous!  I quickly planted them in coir and applied seedling fertiliser.  I hope it will spread quickly; then I can divide it and plant throughout the lawn!




Herbs

Bought some small (about 6") self-watering pots and planted some herbs in them.  Gave one potted tarragon to my brother for his birthday!  Will take care of it til it hardens off enough for him to take care of it.  Also, it turns out I've been over watering my oregano and I shouldn't be fertilising my herbs.  This explains so much!

However, check out these basils!! 


2 comments:

  1. Amelia B.16:01

    I agree that the pea might be a sweet one -- leaves don't usually grow that close together on edible versions. But only time (or possibly a DNA test if you've got friends with access to genetics labs and plenty of free time) will tell.

    The "nasturtium" looks more like a sweet potato, maybe growing from scraps in your compost. Something in that family, anyway.

    The others I'm sure will be slightly more identifiable by now, a week later.


    P.S. Came across the link to your blog from your FB page that Chris had left open on my computer. You are taking gardening extra seriously. Myself, I'm much more lackadaisical. Which is to say, I've never even thought of using a fan to harden-off seedlings. I often just skip hardening off and just transplant and then cover them with clear plastic for a few days. We'll have to compare notes at the end of season and see whose approach was more successful. Although there would have to be some sort of handicap factor to acknowledge that you are working in Winnipeg versus me gardening in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Amelia :)

    I was going by memory of what I had sown in the bed earlier (I goofed and sowed before I was happy with the soil's tilth; but decided to amend the soil with the seeds in it anyway, and just wait for something to germinate; if I liked where it sprouted, I'd keep it, otherwise remove or relocate it). I'm pretty sure I'd sown nasturtiums; but it's possible there was contaminated compost!

    This is my first time gardening on any scale upward of "Hey let's buy some tomato seedlings and put them....over...there!", so let's add that to the handicap factor, too ;).

    ReplyDelete