A little journal of my adventures in gardening, cooking and other constructive projects.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Two Kinds of White Fuzz

What the heck, Winnipeg? Snow?




Lighting

To compensate for the cloudy days we've been having, I've increased the time the grow lamp is on.  It's now on from 20:00 to 05:30, giving 9.5h of delicious artificial light.


Seedlings - More white fuzz!



Having been a little busy the past few days, I've neglected to inspect my plants.  I did today, and did NOT like what I found:  MORE WHITE FUZZ!

I found some on this marigold leaf, one of my cosmos (candy stripe) was covered in it, and it is EVERYWHERE ON THE FIBRE CELLS AND JIFFY POTS!  I lifted some cells up to add water to the trays, and there's all this white fuzz just growing out of the fibres!  I'm really apprehensive about how my plants will deal...

There's also some white fuzz around the empty seed casings of my new cosmos (early spring).  I'm not sure if the seed casings are supposed to have this much white fuzz on them...

New and Noticeable Growth

  • snap peas began germinating!
  • broccoli true leaves are getting bigger and a second new leaf is emerging on most
  • cosmos (candy stripe, the original ones) have distinguished true leaf -shapes!
  • agastache look like miniature versions of some plant--the true leaves are distinct
  • tarragon true leaves are taking shape
The following have cotyledons that seem to be dying back:
  • marigold
  • broccoli

Cosmos - Candy Stripe (original plants)



Broccoli: look at those true leaves!

 

Tomato - Stupice (notice the veined true leaves!)



Cherry Tomato - Hybrid: notice the shapes of the true leaves!



Snap peas: germination has begun!

 

Snow Peas: starting to put out leaves...

From what I understand, peas undergo hypogeous germination; these leaves are not cotyledons, as the cotyledons are below ground, providing food to the plant until it eventually decomposes.  The portion above ground is called the plumule.



Chamomile: looking good!  Distinct fern-like leaf shapes.

 

Squash: prominent zucchini true leaves (one each)



Butternut: new true leaf beginning to emerge.



Basil - Genovese: true leaves taking shape.

 

Agastache Cana: look at those true leaves go!

 

Marigold: the cotyledons are turning grey and ash-like.  I wonder if that's supposed to happen?



I think these are Bee Balm:

 

Tarragon:



The whole setup:




To give you an idea of how tall they're getting...




No comments:

Post a Comment